October 26th, 2021
New American Pathways remains on the frontlines of welcoming Afghan nationals to Georgia and we have been blown away by the outpouring of support we have received from the community. Over the next several months, we expect to welcome hundreds of new Americans arriving with Special Immigrant Visas and refugee or humanitarian parolee status, as well as a growing number of refugees and immigrants from all over the world. Supporting our mission is critical now, more than ever, and there are many ways to become part of the New AP family.
Evolving Needs and Opportunities
- The evacuations from Afghanistan and subsequent resettlement efforts are constantly evolving, and our volunteer opportunities are constantly changing to meet the needs of new arrivals. Volunteer opportunities are updated regularly and can be found on the ‘Get Involved’ page of our website (found here).
- As our needs change, our Amazon wishlists are updated to reflect donation requests and can be found here. Currently, we are in need of hygiene supplies and household cleaning supplies including laundry detergent, dish soap, vacuum cleaners, and brooms, as well as full sets of dishes and cookware.
- Financial donations support our growing resettlement fund as we continue to welcome an increasing number of new arrivals.
- We have partnered with CARE to provide critical cash assistance to evacuees arriving from Afghanistan. For more information on the CARE Package Cash for Refugees and how to donate, read here.
- Our Service and Volunteerism team is also preparing for our annual ‘End of Year Cheer’ celebration, with hundreds of refugee children and families receiving gifts including age-appropriate toys, games, book, etc. Gifts for the End of Year Cheer program can be purchased here.
Civic Engagement and Advocacy
- Afghan Adjustment Act:
- The Afghan Adjustment Act, patterned after similar legislation such as the Cuban Adjustment Act following the Cuban Revolution, offers an important correction by allowing these Afghan refugees to apply for lawful permanent resident status, the same legal status they would have received had they been admitted as refugees. Rather than punishing Afghan arrivals for being evacuated, Congress has an urgent obligation to ensure they have a chance to become lawful permanent residents. The Afghan Adjustment Act would provide a roadmap to permanent status for Afghans on humanitarian parole after one year. (CWS)
- Participate in Evacuate Our Allies Advocacy Day on November 9th-10th to encourage legislators to support the passage of an Afghan Adjustment Act. Register for EOA Advocacy Days here.
- Pathway to Citizenship:
- Right now, Congress has a unique, historic opportunity to help enact legislation that creates a pathway to citizenship for millions of immigrants in the United States. Congress is considering this legislation through the budget reconciliation process – a process that allows for a simple majority of the Senate to adopt particular types of policy, eliminating the possibility of a Senate filibuster.
- It is vital that we keep up the pressure for Congress to include and pass a pathway to citizenship for essential workers, farmworkers, Dreamers, and TPS holders in the final Fiscal Year 2022 budget.
- Contact your representatives to urge them to secure a pathway to citizenship and amplify this message on social media using this toolkit.