Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8 hours, approximately 9:30am to 5:30pm. Some weekends required.
AmeriCorps Program: Project RISE (Refugee and Immigrant Success through Education) is an
AmeriCorps effort that focuses on educational services to address the significant literacy gap in the
DeKalb County refugee community, among both youth and their parents. In RISE, 17 full-time
AmeriCorps members serving an 11-month service cycle will leverage an additional 300 community
volunteers to support refugee and immigrant self-sufficiency by offering individualized direct service
through education in core programs, including afterschool and summer academic programming,
operating in multiple DeKalb County sites.
All member activities include a focus on education and literacy, with most site members serving half
of their time in out-of-school tutoring and mentoring programs at their assigned locations and half of
their time delivering core program services in specific departments. All full-time members will
complete a minimum of 1700 hours from September 2023 to July 2024.
Service Summary: Family Support Liaison AmeriCorps Member
This AmeriCorps member will serve within the School Liaison Program to further develop best
practices and parent engagement activities for refugee and immigrant families as they adjust to the
U.S Education system and culture. Additionally, the member will serve as a tutor in New American
Pathways - supported afterschool and summer programs. The member will have recurring access to
- Research, schedule, and organize events/workshops pertaining to American Culture and U.S Education system for enrolled parents.
- Assist School Liaisons in scheduling and supporting parents with Parent, Teacher Conferences and other school-led events.
- Maintain program records, and data entry with the support of school liaisons.
- Assist school liaisons in quarterly program assessments and regular home visits.
- Attend trainings, events and meetings for both the AmeriCorps and the New American Pathways Afterschool and School Liaison Program, occasionally outside of regular service hours.
- Assist in supervising elementary grade youth on field trips both in the summer and at occasional extra activities on weekends or in the evenings.
- Connecting clients to services within New American Pathways and with community partners.
- Assist Instructors in classroom supervision, mild student behavior correction, and occasionally leading/co-leading after school lessons/activities for K-5th students.
- Submit monthly reports measuring progress toward Project RISE goals.
- Communicating closely with clients on a regular basis: updating parents on school and afterschool announcements, checking in to assess needs, making referrals as needed.
- Occasionally providing transportation to adult clients for school & parent events
- Additionally, Project RISE members will periodically have the opportunity to learn about and serve in different departments within the agency. This will allow for a more extensive understanding of services extended to refugees, as well as enable members to develop a range of skills based in the environs of Volunteer Management, Refugee Education and Self-Sufficiency.
Please Note: Members will be reimbursed for the service related mileage.
- Sensitivity to people of all cultures, ethnicities, and religious backgrounds
- Submit to criminal background check
- Dependable and committed to the safety, health, and well-being of refugee families
- Computer Competency in MS Windows, MS Word, and MS PowerPoint
- Valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher
- Proficiency in Spanish or Arabic is a plus, but not a requirement
- Experience with education specifically public education or similar field is a plus
New American Pathways is an Equal Opportunity Employer. An official offer of the position is dependent on approval of grant funding by the Georgia Commission and the Corporation for National and Community Service. Afterschool schedules are dependent on programmatic funding and are subject to change.