NEW AMERICAN PATHWAYS
PROJECT RISE AmeriCorps Service Description
Member Title: Elementary Program Development AmeriCorps Member
Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8 hours, approximately 9:30 am to 5:30 pm (with serving in elementary afterschool 4 days a week) Some weekends required.
AmeriCorps Program: Project RISE (Refugee and Immigrant Success through Education) is an AmeriCorps effort that focuses on educational services to address the significant literacy gap in the DeKalb County refugee community, among both youth and their parents. In RISE, 17 full-time AmeriCorps members serving an 11-month service cycle will leverage an additional 300 community volunteers to support refugee and immigrant self-sufficiency by offering individualized direct service through education in core programs, including afterschool and summer academic programming, operating in multiple DeKalb County sites.
All member activities include a focus on education and literacy, with most site members serving half of their time in out-of-school tutoring and mentoring programs at their assigned locations and half of their time delivering core program services in specific departments. All full-time members will complete a minimum of 1700 hours from September 2022 to July 2023.
Service Summary: Elementary Program Development AmeriCorps Member
This AmeriCorps member will serve within the After School Program to research, create, and assess educational strategies and processes aimed to support the language acquisition and social development of K-5th English Language Learners. Additionally, the member will serve as a tutor in New American Pathways - supported afterschool and summer programs. The member will have recurring access to vulnerable populations.
- Research, schedule, and organize CORE academic, literacy, and enrichment activities for Elementary Afterschool and Summer Camp programs with Lead Teacher and Elementary School Senior Youth Coordinator
- Support Senior Youth Coordinator in drafting field trip proposals and lesson plans for partner approval
- Monitor and facilitate scheduled student literacy and student behavior assessments with the support of Lead Teacher, Class Instructor, and Senior Youth Coordinator
- Attend trainings, events and meetings for both the AmeriCorps and the New American Pathways Afterschool Program, occasionally outside of regular service hours.
- Assist in supervising youth on field trips both in the summer and at occasional extra activities on weekends or in the evenings.
- Assist Instructors in classroom supervision, mild student behavior correction, and occasionally leading/co-leading after school lessons/activities for K-5th
- Submit monthly reports measuring progress toward Project RISE goals.
- Additionally, Project RISE members will periodically have the opportunity to learn about and serve in different departments within the agency. This will allow for a more extensive understanding of services extended to refugees, as well as enable members to develop a range of skills based in the environs of Volunteer Management, Refugee Education and Self-Sufficiency.
Please Note: Members will be reimbursed for the service related mileage.
- Sensitivity to people of all cultures, ethnicities, and religious backgrounds.
- Submit to criminal background check.
- Dependable and committed to the safety, health, and well-being of refugee youth.
- Computer Competency in MS Windows and MS Word.
- Experience serving with children.
- Excellence in writing and oral communication.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher.
- Experience with education specifically teaching English as a Second Language is preferred.
- Experience with lesson planning & curriculum development
New American Pathways is an Equal Opportunity Employer. An official offer of the position is dependent on approval of grant funding by the Georgia Commission and the Corporation for National and Community Service. Afterschool schedules are dependent on programmatic funding and are subject to change.