NEW AMERICAN PATHWAYS
PROJECT RISE AmeriCorps Service Description
Member Title: Economic Empowerment AmeriCorps Member. Schedule may vary slightly dependent on afterschool program schedule.
Schedule: Monday to Friday, 8 hours, approximately 10:30am to 5:30pm Some weekends.
AmeriCorps Program: Project RISE (Refugee and Immigrant Success through Education) is an AmeriCorps effort that focuses on educational services to address the significant literacy gap in the DeKalb County refugee community, among both youth and their parents. In RISE, 17 full-time AmeriCorps members serving an 11-month service cycle will leverage an additional 300 community volunteers to support refugee and immigrant self-sufficiency by offering individualized direct service through education in core programs, including afterschool and summer academic programming, operating in multiple DeKalb County sites.
All member activities include a focus on education and literacy, with most site members serving half of their time in out-of-school tutoring and mentoring programs at their assigned locations and half of their time delivering core program services in specific departments. All full-time members will complete a minimum of 1700 hours from September 2022 to July 2023.
Service Summary: Economic Empowerment AmeriCorps Member
The member will serve in the Match Grant program and is responsible for coordinating employment based workshops and assisting clients toward the goal of self- sufficiency. Additionally, the member will serve as a tutor in New American Pathways-supported afterschool and summer programs. The member will have recurring access to vulnerable populations.
- Plan and facilitate employment readiness workshops, including basic and extended employment workshops, and financial literacy workshops
- Provide one-on-one employment and Match Grant services to clients.
- Provide assistance to clients so that they can obtain their Georgia ID.
- Provide financial literacy education, including information on filing tax returns and tax fraud.
- Provide support to the Matching Grant program and assists in maintaining programmatic compliance.
- Assist Instructors in classroom supervision, mild student behavior correction, and occasionally leading/co-leading after school lessons/activities for K-5th students
- Submit monthly reports measuring progress toward Project RISE goals.
- Attend trainings, events and meetings for the AmeriCorps Program, occasionally outside of regular service hours.
- Additionally, Project RISE members will periodically have the opportunity to learn about and serve in different departments within the agency. This will allow for a more extensive understanding of services extended to refugees, as well as enable members to develop a range of skills based in the environs of Volunteer Management, Refugee Education and Self-Sufficiency.
Please Note: Members will be reimbursed for the service related mileage.
- Sensitivity to people of all cultures, ethnicities, and religious backgrounds.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Flexible and able to problem solve.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to be an active member of a team in a diverse, multicultural environment.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher.
- Experience developing and delivering workshops to adult learners, particularly English language learners.
- Experience developing relationships with employers.
- Job mentoring skills, including resume development and interview preparation.
New American Pathways is an Equal Opportunity Employer. An official offer of the position is dependent on approval of grant funding by the Georgia Commission and the Corporation for National and Community Service. Afterschool schedules are dependent on programmatic funding and are subject to change.